Wealth is gathered by building Markets and establishing trade routes with Caravans between friendly Cities. Some Rare Resources also add to wealth production when they have a Merchant harvesting the resource. Researching the Taxation technology line at the Temple allows a nation to gather wealth based on the size of its territory and it also increases income from rare resources and Fishermen.
Wealth is used throughout the whole game to produce units, research technology, and build structures. The main use for wealth is in the construction of units and technology upgrades. Wealth tends to replace Food as a staple resource in the late-game, as advanced units and technology require Wealth in place of Food to create.
Gathering Wealth Edit
- Markets. Each Market increases the gather rate of Wealth by +10 . Building the Porcelain Tower increases the income of all Markets by +200%. When completing or razing a Market a small bonus of 30 wealth is granted.
- Caravans. Caravans generate income by plying trade routes between two friendly Cities. They need to be created at a Market, the income is based on the distance between the two cities. With Commerce 3 (Trade) researched, caravans may establish trade routes to cities of friendly and allied nations.
- Taxation. Taxation allows you to generate Wealth based on the size of your nation's territory. It also increases income from Rare Resources (see below) and fishermen. It needs to be researched at a Temple.
Related National Powers Edit
Some nations' national powers grant significnt bonuses that give them an edge in Wealth production:
- The British Power of Empire: Commerce Limit for all basic resources is increased by 25%. Taxation upgrades are 50% cheaper, and territory-based Taxation grants double the income.
- The Inca Power of Gold: Mines generate Wealth in addition to Metal, and their Commerce Limit for Wealth is increased by 33%.
- The Nubian Power of Trade: Caravan Limit is increased by +1. Merchants, Caravans, and Markets are 10% cheaper and have an additional 50% hit points. They begin with a Market, and can always sell/buy resources with a +20/-20 price bonus, and Rare Resources (including those that produce Wealth—see below) are gathered 50% faster.
- The Persian Power of Ceremony: Taxation upgrades are granted instantly at no cost, as long as a Temple is built and the prerequisites are met. Caravans are always at their maximum number allowed, being created automatically and for free.
Rare Resources Edit
- Amber: +10
- Diamonds: +20
- Dye: +10
- Fish: +10
- Gems: +10
- Peacocks: +10
- Silk: +10
- Silver: +10
- Sulphur: +15
- Tobacco: +10
The gather rate of rare resources in friendly (i.e. own and allied) territory can be increased by researching the Taxation line at the Temple (+50%, +100%, +200%, +300%) and by building the Porcelain Tower (+200%).
- The Colossus increases the Wealth income from all sources by 30%. It also increases the Commerce Limit for Wealth by +50.
- The Pyramids raise the Commerce Limit for Wealth by +50.
- The Taj Mahal increases Wealth income from all sources by +100%. It also raises the Commerce Limit by +300.