The University is a non-military building that becomes available in the Classical Age. Its sole purprose is to generate Knowledge, which is required to research most Library technologies and to build late game wonders and missiles. It can be built once per City.
Gathering Knowledge Edit
Initially, each Scholar generates +5 Knowledge. This gather rate can be increased by researching technologies at the University, which become available as new Ages and Science levels are researched at a Library.
|with technology||per Scholar||per University*|
* Knowledge generated per 30 seconds from a University with seven Scholars, including Knowledge production from the building itself.
- The Greeks may build Universities and generate Knowledge from the Ancient Age on. They also start with a free University, unless playing with either City Center only or Nomads option selected.
- The Germans receive 50 Knowledge when completing a University.
- The Americans (Thrones & Patriots) receive a free Scholar when completing a new University, as long as the Population Limit allows for it.
- Universities have an Eject button which allows to eject all Scholars from the University. Outside of an University, Scholars can be ordered to pick up arms and become Militia/Minutemen/Partisans or to garrison a different University. While not working at a University, Scholars generate no Knowledge. Note that after a few seconds Scholars will return to the University they were ejected from, the idle time can be set in the options.
- Universities have the Infinite Queue option: Press V, then Q to have the University constantly create new scholars as long as the nation's Wealth and Population Limit allows for it and as there are still open slots to fill.