Timber is one of six basic resources in Rise of Nations. It can be gathered from the Ancient Age on and is mostly required to construct buildings and many of the wonders, but also to build units and to research technologies.
Timber is used throughout the entire game to produce units, research technology, and build structures. The main use for timber is in the construction of buildings, but is also used in technology upgrades. In particular, timber is the only resource required to upgrade knowledge production, but these technologies rapidly become very timber-intensive. At the same time, Commerce Technology, essential for a robust economy, also requires a large amount of timber. Some units, such as archers, boats, and cannon, require timber for production.
Gathering Timber Edit
Timber is primarily gathered by Citizens working at a Woodcutter's Camp. Woodcutter's Camps have to be placed near forests and provide a limited number of worker slots, depending on the number of nearby 'tree groups'. Each citizen increases the gather rate by +10, i.e., will gather 10 Timber per 30 seconds. Upon completion of a Woodcutter's Camp a nation also receives a one-time bonus of 5 Timber per worker slot.
Building a Lumber Mill in a city increases the production output of all Woodcutters Camp's within that city's economic radius by a basic 20%, i.e., the gather rate of each worker becomes +12 (instead of +10). This productivity bonus can be increased to 50%, 100% and 200%, by researching building upgrades at the Lumber Mill.Each city, including the first one, generates a basic income of +10 Timber. The Forbidden City wonder generates +50 Timber.Certain rare resources contribute to the gather rate of Timber as well. Rare resources can be gathered by sending a Merchant from a Market to the resource location. The following rare resources increase the gather rate of Timber:
- Amber: +10
- Citrus: +10
- Cotton: +20
- Marble: +10
- Rubber: +20 ( Industrial Age)
- Salt: +10
- Silk: +10
- Sugar: +10
- Wool: +10
If a rare resource is located within friendly (own or allied) territory, it's production rate is increased depending on the current level of Taxation, a technology line researched at the Temple. If playing the Nubians and/or owning the Porcelain Tower wonder, rare resources become even more productive.
Wonders and Nations Edit
Some wonders and nations are somewhat dedicated to Timber production:
- The French start with a free Lumber Mill and have two additional worker slots in every Woodcutter's Camp (useful in regions with few trees). Their Commerce Limit for Timber is increased by +10%.
- The Iroquois also receive +2 Food from every citizen working at a Woodcutter's Camp.
- The Americans receive +3 Timber for every non-Scout Barracks unit currently not garrisoned.
- The Temple of Tikal increases the base gather rate of Timber by 50% and the Commerce Limit for Timber by +100.
- The early available Colossus wonder increases the Commerce Limit for Timber by +50 (in addition to other effects).