"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." — Arthur C Clarke
Science Research is one of the four technology disciplines in Rise of Nations researched at the Library. Developing Science unlocks many economic buildings and upgrades, and reduces research costs and times of all subsequent research.
Each level of Science technology:
- Decreases research cost and time for all Library technologies (including age advances) by 10% per Science level ahead.
- Increases Line of Sight for all Scouts (+2 tiles per level), Cities (+2 tiles), and Lookouts (+3 tiles).
- Increases resource bonus from Ruins by +25 per level (26 for the Spanish).
Science 1, along with a Dock, allows land units to travel to other landmasses on Sea maps. Science 6 explores the entire map for the player. Fog of War effects may still apply. Science 7 permanently reveals all of the player's territory and allied territory to the player. Science research is also required to unlock new technologies at the Granary, Lumber Mill, Smelter, and University.
- Collect a Papyrus rare resource with a Merchant to reduce Science Research cost by 25%.
- The Chinese receive a 20% cost reduction for all Science research.
- The Americans start with the first Science technology already researched (unless playing a Nomad or City Center Only game). This bonus has since been removed as of version 03.02.12.0800.
- The Greeks receive a general 10% discount on all Library research cost (except for Knowledge) and research 100% faster.
Other Research Edit