"Ultima ratio regum." — Motto on French cannon cast by Louis XIVMilitary Research is one of four technology disciplines available at the Library. It increases the population limit and unlocks new units and military technologies.
Like all Library research, Military research has a total of 7 levels to research. Each level researched...
- increases the Population Limit by +25, up to a maximum of 200.
- unlocks all military units of the same age.
- reduces production cost for units of previous ages by 5% per level ahead
- reduces upgrade cost for units of previous ages by 10% per level ahead
|Technology||Research cost||Required for|
|1||The Art of War||120||Barracks, Tower, Stable|
|2||Mercenaries||100 / 100||Siege Factory, Fort, Keep, Castle, Airbase, Missile Silo|
|3||Standing Army||160 / 200||Fort technologies level 1|
|4||Conscription||360 / 250||Stockade, Fortress, Fort technologies level 2|
|5||Levee en Masse||650 / 400|
|6||Nation-in-Arms||1300 / 500||Bunker, Redoubt, Fort technologies level 3|
|7||Selective Service||1800 / 1200|
Note that research cost also depends on the current level of Science research as well as any cost modifiers from nation powers and rare resources.
- Connect the Furs rare resource with a Merchant to reduce Military research cost by 25%. This does not affect the "red" future technology Missile Shield.
- The Greeks receive a general 10% discount on all Library research cost (except for Knowledge) and research technologies 100% faster.
- The Romans and the Aztecs start with the first Military technology already researched (unless playing a Nomad or City Center Only game).
- The Bantu receive +50 to their Population Limit per level researched. They also do not require Military technology to unlock new units. However, unit and upgrade cost are increased by 10% per age behind in military research.