|Unit Information||Game Strategies||History|
Gunpowder Infantry is a mid-game class of infantry units in Rise of Nations, with its first units becoming available in the Gunpowder Age. They are trained and upgraded at the Barracks, requiring both Food and Timber.
The first Gunpowder Infantry units to become available are Arquebusiers, which upgrade from the now-obsolete Light Infantry. They are somewhat mobile, but slow-firing infantry units with low armor, effective in fighting the slow-moving Heavy Infantry, Artillery Weapons and Support Units - as well as Foot Archers, which are still in service at this point. Gunpowder Infantry units are also somewhat effective against Ranged Cavalry. The damage bonus increase they receive when fighting Heavy Infantry, compared with that of the previous Light Infantry they replace, makes the upgrade worthwhile, despite its cost. Gunpowder Infantry can be countered with cavalry units.
In the Enlightenment Age, the Foot Archers class becomes obsolete as well and its units, along with all Arquebusiers, are upgraded to Musketeers. These receive an additional damage bonus against Heavy Infantry, to counter the Heavy Infantry's new use of ranged weapons. With the advent of automatic rifles in the Industrial Age, Gunpowder Infantry becomes obsolete and is replaced with the faster-moving and more versatile Modern Infantry.
Gunpowder Infantry receive a 25% bonus to movement, so even though they are given a move speed of 24 in unitrules.xml, they will actually move as fast as Elite Javelineers, which have a move speed of 30.
List of Gunpowder InfantryEdit
Unit costs Edit
Gunpowder Infantry production cost increases progressively with every Barracks unit on the field or currently in production. The default increase is of 1 Food and 1 Timber for the second unit created, increasing further with every new unit until the cost cap is reached, which for military units is +125% of their original base value.
Nation powers Edit
- The American Power of Innovation: Receive Food, Timber, Metal, and Wealth to gather rate for every non-garrisoned Gunpowder Infantry. All military ground unit upgrades, including Gunpowder Infantry, are 25% cheaper.
- The Bantu Power of Migration: Infantry units, including Gunpowder Infantry, move 25% faster and do not require Military research to be upgraded.
- The Iroquois Power of Nation: Gunpowder Infantry have hit points, are hidden when not attacking and heal while idle in friendly territory, and (undocumented/hidden) move 25% faster.
- The Japanese Power of Honor: For each Age plus Military research, Barracks units, including Gunpowder Infantry, are created 7% cheaper and 10% faster, and do 5% extra damage vs. buildings.
- The Terra Cotta Army automatically creates a Gunpowder Infantry (being the successor of Light Infantry) every 30 seconds plus 0.5 seconds for every infantry units owned by the player.
- The Angkor Wat reduces the cost of Barracks units, including Gunpowder Infantry, by 25%.