When a farm is built, players are granted a small bonus of 20 food, in addition to what they harvest. A cap is placed on farms, and as such, only five farms may be built per city. Some civilizations have national powers that grant them bonuses to their food production.
Food is used throughout the entire game to produce units, research technology, and build structures. Upon reaching the Industrial Age, food is less common in building units as players tend to focus more on oil and metal to build airplanes and tanks.
Increasing food production usually requires food (for citizens) and timber (for farms). Some metal (for Granary production upgrades) and wealth (for Granaries) is also required.
Nation Powers Edit
- The Americans receive a 2 Food (as well as 2 Timber, 2 Metal, and 2 Wealth) bonus to their gather rate for every non-Scout Barracks unit that isn't garrisoned.
- The Dutch receive +1 to their Food gather rate for every 20 Food beyond the starting amount (usually 200 for a regular game), up to a total of +50 beyond the Commerce Limit. This also applies to all other basic resources except Knowledge.
- The Egyptians have an increased Commerce Limit for Food (by 10%), start with a Granary, and can build 7 instead of 5 Farms in each city. Their Granary production upgrades are free, and their Farms also increase their Wealth gather rate by 2 for each Farm.
- German cities each receive a 5 Food (as well as 5 Timber and 5 Metal) bonus to the gather rate, and their farms give a completion bonus of 30 Food instead of 20 Food. The Germans can build Granaries from the start of the game, and the Granary production upgrades are 50% cheaper and available one age earlier.
- Iroquois woodcutters also gather 2 Food each. This is affected by Granary and Granary production upgrades.
- Japanese farms and fishermen produce +25% Food. Japanese farms are also 50% cheaper.
- The Lakota do not build farms for food. Instead, their Food gather rate is increased by 4 for every non-garrisoned scout, citizen, and cavalry unit. Captured farms and granaries are instantly destroyed.
- The Mongols receive a 1 Food bonus to their gather rate for every 1% of the world territory controlled (multiplied by half the number of nations).
- The Persians start with 50% more food.