Elephants are a special type of Cavalry, only seen in Indian and Persian armies as part of their Unique Unit lines. Unlike other unique units, Elephants are a standalone type, as they do not replace any standard unit.
This unit type has high hit points, the highest armor in the game, have a 100% damage bonus against Heavy Infantry, and a 20% damage bonus against Artillery Weapons, but have a 5% damage penalty against Heavy Cavalry, and a 34% damage penalty against Civilians and Support Units. Their most dangerous foes are Foot Archers, which have a 70% damage bonus against them, and Heavy Cavalry, which has a 15% damage bonus. Age also affects their attack, for they have a 10% damage penalty against Enlightenment Age units and buildings, a 20% damage penalty against Industrial Age units and buildings, a 30% damage penalty against Modern Age units and buildings, and a 40% damage penalty against Information Age units and buildings.
The first Elephant unit of this type, the War Elephant, can only attack in melee, while its upgrade the Mahout, and the other two subsequent Elephant upgrades attain an additional ranged attack, and can fire while moving. Besides the obvious strategic flexibility implied by this ability, it also brings some differences in damage bonuses and penalties between War Elephants and Mahouts, which are the following:
War Elephants Edit
- Have a 50% damage penalty against Citizens,
- Light Infantry has a 50% damage bonus against them.
- Mahouts are closer to Ranged Cavalry in terms of stats and bonuses, (they share the OBJ_MASK flags OMR and OMG and the damage bonuses of Ranged Cavalry, as well as being able to fire while moving).
- All damage bonuses that other units have against Ranged Cavalry will also work on Mahouts.
Upgrade Table Edit
|Classical Age||War Elephant||Elephants|
|Gunpowder Age||Gun Mahout||Elephants|
|Enlightenment Age||Culverin Mahout||Elephants|
|Industrial Age||Light Tank||Tanks|
|Information Age||Main Battle Tank||Tanks|
- Elephants are the only unit type comprised entirely of unique units.
- Elephants are also the only unique units in the game to be shared by two nations.