Despotism is the first of the three totalitarian governments in Rise of Nations, preceding the Monarchy. It becomes available in the Classical Age, right after completing the Senate, and it costs Food and Wealth to research. Despotism grants the following benefits:
- Military Research cost reduced by 15%
- Barracks unit cost and upgrades reduced by 15%
- Patriot: The Despot (see below)
Despotism provides several benefits for a nation planning to field lots of infantry and wage early/many wars in the game. If a nation prefers to build up a strong economy before going to war, it should consider the Despotism's counterpart, the Republic.
Note: The unit and upgrade cost reduction only affect the base portion of the cost. The ramping cost (additional cost for additional units) is not affected.
Version note: Prior to version 03.02.12.0800, the cost reduction for Military research, Barracks units and upgrades was 25%.
The Despot Patriot Edit
- Functions as a Supply Wagon: Eliminates/reduces attrition damage and provides supply for artillery units.
- Extra large Line of Sight.
- Doubles plunder from destroying buildings and gives plunder from destroying enemy units.
- Immune to sniping and bribery.
- Benefits from all regular General upgrades at the Fort.