|“|| The great end of all human industry, is the attainment of happiness.|
- David Hume
Like all Library research, Commerce research has a total of 7 levels to research. Each level researched...
- ...increases the Commerce Limit for all resources, which varies from +30 to +100 per level (excluding Knowledge, which is limited only by the game cap of 999).
- ...increases the Caravan Limit by +1, allowing you to create another trade route.
Commerce 2 (Coinage) unlocks the ability to trade resources at the Market and colonize new continents. Commerce 3 (Trade) allows Caravans to establish trading routes to cities of allied and peaceful nations.
Note that research cost also depends on the current level of Science research as well as any cost modifiers from nation powers and rare resources.
Rare resources Edit
- Silk reduces Commerce research cost by 25%. However, this does not work with the "green" future technology Global Prosperity.
Nation powers Edit
- The Dutch Power of Commerce: Start with Commerce 1 (Barter) already researched (unless playing a Nomad or City Center Only game) and receive a 10% discount on all future Commerce research.
- The Greek Power of Philosophy: Receive a general 10% discount on all Library research cost (except for Knowledge) and research 100% faster.
- As mentioned in the trivia section of the Library page, researches have alternate titles depending on the starting and ending ages. For Commerce Research, they can be seen here.